Articles are listed chronologically from most recent. Alternatively, you can view articles by category through the photos on the homepage.
Jaguars thrive in lightly logged forests. Scientific American. June 19, 2018 (online), August 2018 (print).
Trump administration pauses California’s solar energy truce. High Country News. May 31, 2018 (online), June 25, 2018 (print).
Bird, interrupted. Scientific American. April 2018.
Where did the West go? The Doctor T.J. Eckleburg Review. March 27, 2018.
Lobos in limbo: The halting recovery of the Mexican wolf. Earth Touch News. February 7, 2018.
Wildlife in the borderlands: Isolated ocelots face a new danger. Earth Touch News. November 27, 2017.
Poop: When everyone looked up, I looked own. Medium. September 2, 2017.
National Monuments: “The Teddy Roosevelt cure.” The Revelator. August 21, 2017
The right place to roost. The Observer. April 2017.
How the lure of frankincense puts Arabian leopards in danger. Earth Touch News. December 24, 2016.
Five-piece followup. The Observer. December 2016.
A walk through living history in Jefferson County. The Observer. September 2016.
Can three young cubs bring Persian leopards back to Russia’s wilderness? Earth Touch News. July 20, 2016.
Birthplace of Rivers – West Virginia’s first National Monument? The Observer. July, 2016.
Bat killings by wind energy turbines continue. Scientific American. June 7, 2016.
It’s here: Human trafficking in our own back yard. The Observer. May 2016.
Keeping it real: How farmers’ markets verify producer claims. Civil Eats. April, 20, 2016.
Anatomy of a bike path. The Observer. April 2016.
The Elk River spill two years later: Congress moves on chemical reform. The Observer of Jefferson County. February 2016.
Gathering in unity, celebrating diversity. The Observer of Clarke County. December 2015.
Pioneers for a new way of aging in place. The Observer of Jefferson County. December 2015.
A conversation with Dennis Banks. (founder of the American Indian Movement). The Observer of Clarke County. October 2015.
The long walks: a conversation with Dennis Banks. The Observer of Jefferson County. November 2015.
Screening for the future. Fluent Magazine. Fall 2015 p. 32.
Unlocking the mystery of mysteries in “Islands of Creation.” The Observer of Jefferson County. October 2015.
On the brink: The tenuous fate of the iconic Hilltop House. The Observer of Jefferson County. October 2015.
Whistling “super-cows” could help save Colombia’s jaguars. Earth Touch News. August 13, 2015.
Lost innocence for farm market customers. The Observer of Jefferson County. August 2015.
Buried treasures in Blondie Bay. The Observer of Jefferson County. July 2015.
The forest lion of Gabon. Pacific Standard. April 16, 2015.
How faith plays into the new conservation debate. High Country News. January 19, 2015.
MCHM: Why the mystery? The Observer of Jefferson County. January 2015. p. 18-19.
The weather outside is frightful. The Observer of Jefferson County and The Observer of Clarke County. December 2014.
Why they stray: The evolutionary advantages of infidelity. Pacific Standard. November 5, 2014.
Corridor H – the onetime highway of hope. The Observer of Jefferson County. November 2014.
The dance between conservation and art. Fluent Magazine. Fall 2014. p. 32.
Murky waters. The Observer of Clarke County. October 15, 2014.
A dam shame. The Observer of Jefferson County. October 2014.
Clean Water Act revisions supported by businesses, sportsmen. The Observer of Jefferson County. October 2014.
Invasive species on the menu in New Orleans. Earth Touch News. September 17, 2014.
Altered Eden: A new era for America’s wilderness. The Observer of Jefferson County. September 2014.
Biodiversity detectives solve mysteries with environmental DNA. Earth Touch News Network. August 13, 2014.
Biodiversity detectives solve mysteries with environmental DNA. Ensia. August 4, 2014.
Tiger populations are dwindling because of poaching and habitat destruction. The Washington Post. July 8, 2014.
Sex in the grass: What a noisy little bird tells us about fidelity. Earth Touch News Network. July 3, 2014.
Southern Discomfort: A local species faces global challenges. The Observer of Clarke County and The Observer of Jefferson County, July 2014.
Race for the Rivers: James Rumsey’s Steamboat Legacy. Wonderful West Virginia magazine. July 2014. p. 20 – 23.
Tall tower vs. historic house. The Observer of Jefferson County. June 2014. p. 14 -15.
Rx for summer: Get outside. The Observer of Jefferson County. May 2014. p. 14-17.
With a World Cup debut looming, a rare cheetah’s plight is in for some global attention. Earth Touch News Network. April 12, 2014.
Tilting Windmills: Dead bats and the search for clean energy. The Observer of Jefferson County. April 2014.
In Iran, the Persian leopard’s last stand. Earth Touch News Network. March 18, 2014.
In Zoning, Learning from the Past. The Observer of Jefferson County. February 2014.
What’s wild? The battle for nature in the 21st Century. Pacific Standard. February 11, 2014.
Slo-Mo: Cultivating contemplation through film. Fluent Magazine. October/November 2013. p.23- 25.
Antibacterial everything really is a bad idea Pacific Standard. October 7, 2013.
The little turtle and the big blue sea. The Observer of Jefferson County. September 2013.
It’s the health care, stupid. Pacific Standard. July 30, 2013.
The hidden hazards in your laundry basket. EcoWatch. June 28, 2013.
Hunting for cougars? Try downmarket. Pacific Standard. June 26, 2013.
Myofascial pain syndrome often leaves doctors baffled and patients untreated. The Washington Post. Health and Science Section. June 18, 2013.
(Note to fellow patients seeking relief: Please also see this NYT article about pelvic massage. I did not write the NYT article, but urge others to read it if they have any concerns about pelvic floor massage: Pelvic Massage Can Be Legitimate, but Not in Larry Nassar’s Hands. )
Passages. The Observer of Jefferson County. May 2013.
After four decades of protection, marine mammals at risk from budget cuts. EcoWatch. December 28, 2012.
Dispelling myths, one film at a time. The Observer. November 2012
Film fix: An an antidote for what ails us. Fluent Magazine. Sep-Oct 2012 p. 12.
The power of the surf. The Observer, August 2011. pg 6.
I drew on years of experience in conservation to provide commentary to Blue Ridge Press, a nationally distributed syndicated column service that focuses on the environment and on the environmental perspectives of current affairs. The columns were commissioned by Blue Ridge Press editors, and offered free of charge to newspapers, newsweeklies, and magazines, which publish the commentary in their print and online editions.
Spring Frog Song Fading? Blue Ridge Press, March 8, 2013 – April 5, 2013 appeared in:
- Spring frog song fading? Ames Tribune. March 29, 2013.
- Spring frog song fading? Living Green Magazine. April 5, 2013.
- Jeepers creepers! Frogs are canaries in a coal mine. The Hook (Charlottesville VA). March 28, 2013.
- Amphibians: canaries in the coal mine. The Observer of Jefferson County (Shepherdstown WV). April 2013.
- Amphibians: canaries in the coal mine. The Westchester Guardian (New Rochelle NY). April 4, 2013.
- Amphibians: canaries in the coal mine. The Yonkers Tribune. March 27, 2013.
And from the frog’s perspective:
- It’s deadly being green. Adirondack Daily Enterprise. March 8, 2013.
- It’s deadly being green. The Observer of Clarke County (Berryville VA) March 2013. p. 18.
The Greatest Unroad Trip Ever, Blue Ridge Press, May 14, 2012 – September 11, 2012:
- The greatest unroad trip ever, Adirondack Daily Enterprise. May 21, 2012.
- Connecting wildlife along the Eastern Wildway. The Bladen Journal. Elizabethtown NC. May 22, 2012.
- American wildways: Connecting wildlife and helping ourselves, The Hook, Charlottesville VA. May 22, 2012 (online) and print edition May 24, 2012.
- Connecting wildlife through wildands, Living Green Magazine. September 11, 2012.
- The greatest unroad trip ever, The Observer. Shepherdstown WV. June 2012. p. 21
The Straight Dope on Antibacterial Soap, Blue Ridge Press, February 20, 2012 – March 15, 2012, appeared in:
- The dirt on antibacterial soap, Chicago Southwest News Herald Feb. 27 2012.
- The dirt on antibacterial soap, Columbia Star, SC March 2, 2012.
- The dirt on antibacterial soap, The Advocate, Lawrenceville TN. Feb. 29, 2012.
- Are antibacterial soaps anti-life? NJ Today Feb. 20, 2012.
- Are antibacterial soaps anti-life? University City Review, Philadelphia PA. Feb. 22, 2012. (pg.3)
- Are antibacterial soaps anti-life? Weekly Press Philadelphia PA. Feb. 22, 2012. (pg. 3)
- The dirt on antibacterial soap, The East County Gazette, San Diego CA, March 15, 2012. (p. 9)
- The dirt on antibacterial soap. Living Green Magazine. October 9, 2012.
Obama Enacts Ocean Zoning, Blue Ridge Press. July 19, 2010
- You can still access this at The Circleville Herald (OH).
Killing Nemo, Blue Ridge Press. February 2010. You can still access this at:
- Viewpoint: Losing our oceans one fish at a time. Kalamazoo Gazette. February 28, 2010
- World is losing its precious oceans one fish at a time Pocono Record. February 2, 2010.
Can Aquaculture Feed the World? Blue Ridge Press. September 9, 2009
- You can still access this at The Mountain Mail in Salida CO.
You can see previous blog postings at turnstone1.blogspot.com